Bradford Academy Magic Breakfast:
Here at the Academy we are part of the Magic Breakfast Programme. Magic Breakfast is a charity registered in England (no. 1102510) and Scotland (no. SC048202) ensuring that no child is too hungry to learn through the provision of healthy breakfast food and expert support to schools. A hungry child cannot concentrate so will miss out on half a day of lessons, every day, if not given anything to eat.
Being part of this programme means that all learners can access breakfast at the Academy free of charge.
The magic breakfast includes:
Here is some allergen advice on the products Magic Breakfast Food & Drink Ingredients and Allergens List
A “magic” breakfast is healthy and nutritious. It is designed to give children energy, protein, vitamins and minerals, and is low in sugar, salt and fat. The food Magic Breakfast provides to schools complies with government school food standards and regulations in Scotland and England.
In the primary phase the breakfast club opens at 07:30 for all learners and this provision is free of charge. We will also deliver bagels to classrooms at 08:15 for when learners are arriving for learners to access.
In the secondary phase the breakfast provision is available from 07:30 until 08:10.
School lunches are priced as below and meals must be paid for in advance. You can pay for students meals either via Parentpay, our online payment system where you can also track your child’s daily purchases or payment can be made via the card readers within school.
|Nursery & 2 Year Old Provision||£1.80|
|Reception, Year 1 & 2||Free|
|Year 3 – 6||£2.00|
|Year 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & Post 16||£2.40|
Free School Meals
From September 2014 all children in reception class, year 1 and year 2 will receive a universal free school meal – regardless of their parents’ income. However we recommend you still apply if you meet the criteria below as you may receive assistance with residential trips and the school could receive pupil premium which will help towards your child achieve their best at school.
We also have a new application form so as soon as you have completed the details you will find out straight away if you are eligible or not. You can also complete a basic form that you can obtain directly from the primary reception for primary children and the secondary reception for secondary students.
You should apply for Free School Meals if as a family you receive any of the below benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190, provided they are not receiving Working Tax Credit
- The ‘Guaranteed’ element of the State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (you will need to apply directly to the school not Bradford Council)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit
If you have any further questions regarding this please contact the Primary Office for Primary children and Philippa Darbandi for Secondary students.
Healthy Eating and Menus
Bradford Academy hot meal offering is changed weekly, a new menu is brought out every Friday for the following week. The menu includes all aspects the healthy eating guidline mainly following:
- We only have fried foods once a week, Thursday being our day for fried chips.
- Sausage and processed meat products are used once fortnightly.
- No chocolate is used in our home baking.
- No sweets, crisps, chocolate bars or drinks with added sugar are available.
- Condiments are only available in sachet form.
- No salt is available to be added to the food after cooking.
- All the cold drinks are school approved and without added sugar.
- Salad is offered with each main meal choice as well as two vegetables.
Besides the normal daily hot meal choice of either a meat or vegetarian meal we offer jacket potatoes with a variety of fillings. A large variety of baguettes, sandwiches, plated salads, pasta salads, chicken wraps with salad, yoghurts, fruit salad and grape pots. We have a theme day each month with our next one being an American day menu.